At WHBC, we encourage our members to serve not only through church ministries, but also through local ministries outside our church. To equip our members, we hold year-round classes that help people identify their spiritual gifts, their heart (what they love to do), abilities, passions and experiences (SHAPE for ministry). With this knowledge they are free to see the possibilities for connections to ministry and mission.
Currently, our members serve in many organizations including:
- Camp Viola
- WinShape Camps for Communities
- First Choice Women’s Center
- Active Life Senior Center
- Circles of Troup County
- Girls and Boys Club
- Habitat for Humanity
- Franklin Forrest Elementary – Partner in Education
Three beliefs guide our local ministries:
- We believe Jesus held his best classroom with his disciples in ministry opportunities.
- We believe there is no secular spot on earth. It all belongs to God, and our engagement with the world is our chance to be “salt and light.” (Matt. 5:13-16)
- We believe the church exists to serve the world and bring the world to the reality of the Kingdom of God in our midst.
We support more than 4,000 missionaries throughout the world through our participation in the Southern Baptist Convention Cooperative Program and special missions offerings.
Our global mission coordinator, Larry Duncan, leads us in annual global ministry opportunities.
In the past 20 years, our members have been part of individual and group missions that resulted in:
- 10 new churches and a home for the aged in Dominican Republic.
- A 10-year partnership with multiple churches in Cuba to renovate buildings as well as support the church body.
- Support to churches and ministries in Uganda, Africa.
- Children’s ministries in an orphanage in Ukraine.
We welcome you to join us in global missions this year.